Wednesday, July 15, 2009

What a difference!

Just got back from the "newly revised" Iowa Workforce Center. What great changes they have made! They've been operating for four days with the new system and the unemployed actually get treated as "HUMAN BEINGS." I was very pleased. I complimented every worker that I had contact with. Was told though that they are still working out kinks which I'm sure they will be doing for quite a while. I have to really commend the agency though for putting on this "NEW FACE."

I did come away though without some specific questions about the dislocated worker program and the extended unemployment benefits while in school being answered. The new system requires you now to attend an assessment meeting which is held at 2:30 every day. That is a good thing though--I Just have to wait a bit more time to get my questions answered and to get back into "their system."

I believe though that even with all of their efforts, it is still going to be extremely difficult for the unemployed to find jobs. That is why I think the grassroots efforts of AMOS are important. They are going to be talking one-to-one with employers. Perhaps Iowa Workforce does this also though.

Meanwhile though, I did turn my experience into a networking opportunity and was able to give out two business cards for my home interior, home staging business!

No comments: