Sunday, July 19, 2009

Stumbling blocks and prospects

Well, I was a bit too optimistic about Iowa Workforce (i.e., now called Iowa Works). Spent a good chunk of 3 days down there last week and though the personnel had obviously gotten lots of training in how to treat clients, there was still tons of misinformation given out. Everyone seemed to have a different idea about where I should go next and for what reason. I plowed though the system though, skipping over areas and going to the top in some cases. I still have work to do down there this week though.

I also spent quite a bit of time at DMACC, trying to register for the right (i.e., high demand) course work that would qualify for the new dislocated worker program or the extended 26-week unemployment benefits. DMACC also did not know what was going on and I got that story from more than 1 counselor who I asked to assist me. Not too much help there. I was exhausted when I got home on Friday night.

And yes, kudos for Grandview offering free classes. I will have 9 credits in my pocket in another few weeks. Hopefully 3 of them will transfer to DMACC for my certificate program I'm enrolled in.

Of course though, when it rains, it pours. I now have two phone job interviews scheduled for this week!! I may get a job after all.

No comments: