Friday, July 17, 2009

Tip of the Hat to Grandview


In the continuing series of The Perks of Being Unemployed (ok-technically this is only the second post on that topic so perhaps it not yet an official series), I gotta tip my hat to Grandview. They generously offered to waive tuition for all the Summer sessions for everybody who was laid off. I'm not aware of any other local university/college who made such a generous offer.
Unfortunately, there were no IT classes on the Summer schedule, but I jumped into an Investments class. Have been to several sessions now and gotta say that I'm really enjoying being back in the classroom. I had forgotten how much I enjoy the intellectual challenge of studying a new subject.
The instructor is great. He uses a very practical and real-world approach to the material. It feels a tiny bit odd being in class with all young people, but they probably think that it is a bit odd being in class with me and we all make a dynamic group with diverse views.
Taking a class (even a free class) is not as good as landing a new position and the course is taking a little more time than I was expecting, but I still think that this endeavor is well worth the time (and definitely better than crab fishing).
I have no idea whether Grandview will continue the program in the Fall, but if they do I would highly recommend taking a class.

--
Mike
Click here to see the segment that WHO-TV did on me

Click here to see my profile

To follow this blog add it to your Reader or click on the link in the Followers section at the top right.

No comments: