Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Pink Slip Networking Meeting


Went to the Des Moines Pink Slip Networking meeting tonight. Definitely worth the $5 charge. There were 4 speakers (Billie Sucher, Heidi Myers, Elizabeth Floyd, & Janet Tingwald) that spoke about, "How to Be the 1 In a Million STAND OUT (Rather Than Having a 1 In a Million Shot". Some of the material was standard fare job hunting 101 stuff, but there were also some nuggets in the material.

Plus, I finally got to meet, in person, the legendary Suzanne Hull (the author of the Unemployed in Des Moines blog).
I also saw many of the usual suspects from Net2Work, Westview Career Transitions Connection, Hope At Work, etc. It is a tiny bit sad that I recognize, on sight, so many job seekers at these events (and can even tell you their elevator pitch at this point).

I even won a door prize, but the prize was a resume review and I felt like somebody else could probably use it more than me so I asked them to draw another name. Would have been nice to win the free night at the Staybridge instead!!

About the only downside was that the A/C was out in the building and you probably remember that it was as hot as the surface of the sun in Des Moines today.
See ya there next month.

1 comment:

Suzanne said...

Thanks for the mention:)