Friday, June 26, 2009

Goodbye? Iowa


Another thing that Dave asked about was how my search strategy has changed since I first started. It's a good question.
When I first started, my search was a non-search. I spent some time doing some pro bono work for the local food pantry. However, when I did start my search in earnest, I was focused on finding a position here in Des Moines. My family and I would like to stay in Des Moines for a variety of reasons. I have always been open to a move, for a great position, if necessary. But I really was focusing my efforts on finding a role in Des Moines. However, after months of networking and searching I have reached the conclusion that there actually are no senior technology leadership openings in Des Moines. So, I'm switching gears to spend the majority of my time and energy on finding a position outside Iowa.

Don't get me wrong. If Steve Smith at Wells Fargo returns my call and asks me to re-join WF, I am there tomorrow. If Tom Fischer from GuideOne Insurance sends me an email tomorrow and invites me to join them, I'm signing on the dotted line. If Richard Gass from EMC Insurance sends me an IM and wants me to start there tomorrow, I will clear my calendar. If Aviva, Casey's, Dahl's, Hi-Vee, Iowa Health, Marsh, MidAmerican Energy, or Wellmark call me tomorrow, I would be ready to start the next day. So, clearly I'd love to stay in Des Moines. In fact, if Clayton Jones at Rockwell Collins in Cedar Rapids or Mike Bennett at Terra Industries in Sioux City asked me to stay in Iowa even if not in Des Moines, I would be elated.

However, the reality is that there are no technology leadership openings in Iowa. So, I am going to have to focus on other geographies. I do understand that eventually Wells Fargo will lift their hiring freeze. I know that Principal will eventually stop laying off wave after wave after wave of employees. I believe that Microsoft will build their data center on Grand some day. And I am confident that Google will eventually open the doors to their data center in Council Bluffs. But I cannot wait.

P.S. If you can introduce me to any of the leaders of the companies mentioned above, I will introduce you to my friend Mr. Lincoln (you will only get this reference if you have watched the "Rufus in Show" episode of Kim Possible with your kid). :)

--
Mike
Original story that WHO-TV did on me: Iowa Job Seekers

No comments: