Thursday, June 18, 2009

Frustration


I met with Dave Price from WHO TV this week to catch him up on my search.
One of the comments that I made was that it has been a frustrating time.
1. It is frustrating to have earned top marks on my performance reviews while working for a series of A-list companies (Wells Fargo, IBM, Bank of America...) over the last 20 years and yet still not have a new position.
2. It is frustrating to have multiple positions in which I am interested all go "On Hold" in the same week.
3. It is frustrating to not receive any feedback (even a robo-response) at all after spending an hour or two to fill out an online application at many many many different companies.
4. It is frustrating to see a job posting and know that I am a perfect fit for the role, that I have all the experience called for, and that I have all the skills needed to move a company forward and never even have an opportunity to talk to the hiring manager before getting the classic "we have other candidates that are a better match" note (although at least it is a response of some kind which is better than none (see above)).
5. It is frustrating to watch companies post extremely positive quarterly results and yet still have a Hiring Freeze in place.
6. It is frustrating that my life seems to have been reduced to an endless stream of networking meetings and yet I still do not have a new position.

If you caught Ben Stone's Social Media presentation at the most recent Net2Work meeting then you know how to add this blog to your Reader.

--
Mike
Original story that WHO-TV did on me: Iowa Job Seekers

2 comments:

Sheri said...

I feel your pain.

JL Herring said...

I can really relate, Mike. There are many days when it just feels like "what's the use?"