Friday, April 3, 2009

The N-word


Networking.
If you've been searching for a job for more than 2 seconds, somebody (probably multiple somebodies) has told you that networking is the key to your success. And I wouldn't refute the assertion. However, for some of us networking is easier said than done. A friend of mine (who is one of the best networkers that I know) was sharing with a group that we should, "just have fun with it." I had to politely inform him that those of us with an "I" (rather than an "E") at the front of our Myers-Briggs do not at all find calling friends-of-friends-of-friends (i.e. strangers) asking for favors to be any degree of fun. May be necessary and required but not fun!!
I was looking forward to being flooded with calls after the interview aired. And like one of the other bloggers, the first three (out of the total of four) calls that I have received were from Primerica MLM'ers "looking to expand their financial services business with additional branch manager Vice Presidents." (I'll have to create another post on MLM).
So, it was back to dialing for dollars for me. Ug. I spent almost all day yesterday on the phone. Very frustrating. Couldn't reach anybody directly and left a ton of voicemails. Companies not returning my calls. Which I expect--only the very best companies do a good job of communicating with candidates (and there are not many very best companies out there). 3rd party recruiters not returning my calls. Again, mostly expected--recruiters are focused on the client side right now as it is a terrible environment for them also. Friends and former colleagues not returning my calls!! Wha???? This surprises me. I know everybody is busy, but really? You can't even touch base at the end of the day? Really?

Again, I totally understand how important networking is. I have a friend who is very well connected. She has had success on multiple occasions, after getting a rejection email from HR, by calling somebody she knows at the top of the house for the organization and asking them to intervene. She invariably then gets an interview--which sometimes requires a conversation about over-qualification (yet another topic I will have to post on later), but at least she gets to have the conversation. I, on the other hand, am not as well connected. So, even though I am an unbelievably extremely well-qualified candidate for IT positions I have applied for at Ruan (whose HR actually did return my call) and Des Moines University, I do not actually know anybody there and therefore do not get an opportunity to even have a conversation with the hiring manager. Did I mention how spot-on my qualifications are for those roles? [Note to self -- you must master the power of the Force, er... networking].

There are a bazillion sites out there with tips on networking (who, when, where, how, etc.). Check them out. And maybe some other folks will add some good tips here.
For me, the keys to networking are:
1. Remember to give as much as you take (obviously not always possible, but you get the idea).
2. Contact everybody, but prioritize, and start with folks who know you best. You may be able to link to Kevin Bacon in 6 degrees, but he will still not know you and be less likely to take your call then the guy you worked with for the last 5 years (notwithstanding my experience this particular week--see above).
3. Join a group that promotes networking (especially if there are a ton of people from your industry in the group).
4. You may not like to network, but in the words of master job search guru Ric Flair, "Learn to love it, ...cause it's the best thing going today! Wooooooo."

4 comments:

Sheri said...

Wow, Mike. I feel for you. It's tough for sure. I have sent out 30-40 emails at a time to my email list and have been happy to get 2-3 responses. But why aren't the others at least saying, good luck or something?

Unknown said...

Indeed, tough stuff. You nailed one of the keys, I think...give and take. When attempting to set something up with a 2nd degree individual, good idea to stress what you may have to offer them. Or a simple "would enjoy kicking around some ideas with you, as (name dropped)thought we had a good deal in common."
That is, IF they truly thought that!
One last thought-"networking" can be no more than informal conversations. Have your informal branding spiel ready and loaded at all times.
Visit if you'd like... http://craigalan.wordpress.com

Mike said...

Good reminder to have your "elevator pitch" locked and loaded at all times.

Mike said...

This is an interesting take on your elevator pitch...
http://biznik.com/articles/playing-marketing-ball-how-to-get-to-first-base