Monday, December 7, 2009

Week 1-4

Well, at first I performed the obvious. I went to all the similar companies in the area and dropped off a resume. Unfortunately only one was 'hiring'. I use this term loosely because while they were advertising for a position, I came to find out later that they were not actually going to hire someone until the market rebounded.
I also applied with a bunch of 'headhunter' companies. These companies actually seek out employee's for employer's. They basically do a lot of the work for you. I would highly recommend seeking out these type of companies. I also tried to let everyone that I knew that I was looking for a job. You never know who might know someone! This will come into play later on my next blog on how I got another interview.
I also checked in with my alumni association at Iowa State University and probably had the most success with finding applicable jobs initially. They have CMS 'Career Management Services' where employers can post job opportunities on the universities website and you can apply online.
Another avenue I pursued was the usual Des Moines help wanted, Monster Jobs, Career Builder, etc. I did have moderate success with finding applicable jobs at these type of locations as well.

Stay tuned for more updates next week.

Noah

No comments: