Friday, May 15, 2009

It's been a long time

Seems like it's been a long time since I wrote here. Time has just been sweeping me by. I've relaxed my job search a bit. Am not as frantic as I was initially. I have still been taking advantage of some of the great programs offered at Iowa Workforce. Went to a resume writing workshop yesterday. Have also started going to a great program called Net2Work which is being held at the Botanical Center. There was a great inspiration talk 2 weeks ago by Drew McLellan, the Top Dog at McLellan Marketing Group here in Des Moines. He talked about how to market ourselves and offered good tips about social media networking.

I am still keeping my daily "to do" list which keeps me on track and where I keep track of the jobs I've applied to and the rejection emails I've gotten. No luck so far with interviews. It's difficult when you're competing with several hundred people. But, because of my lay-off, I've got to do a lot of things I couldn't have done if I were working. Have gone to art galleries, had a garage sale during the week and have gotten to know people at Iowa Workforce! Life is good!!

1 comment:

Drew McLellan said...

Sheri,

How are you leveraging your network/friends to build an army of people helping you find the right job?

I think in some ways...that's the most important tool a job seeker has today. Don't make it a solo project!

Best,

Drew